Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Enrichment Madness - Part 2

It is now February, and I am glad that Iffah has settled in well in her Kinderart class. A class did start in Pasir Ris, with 3 other girls who are all equally passionate about drawing and colouring and could spend that 1 hour focusing on their art piece . And with that, I could put a check in one of the boxes of my checklist that says : An enrichment class that Iffah likes and enjoys, which will help to further develops her skills/interest, something that is not covered in her school, something that I can' t teach myself at home. Checked.
But that does that solve all the enrichment madness ? Not yet, because there are a few more left unchecked. Like an enrichment class that she might not necessarily enjoy, but is equally important because it either teaches fundamental skills, or to improve something that she is not good at in the first place. Like

1. Madrasah / Qur'an : Nowadays kid start madrasah earlier and earlier .. and since Kidz Meadow only incorporates Iqra' and daily doas, I am like panicking a bit because I did not enrol her anywhere for this academic year. I must start deciding which class would be good/ fun ?. Al- Istighfar Mosque ? Or Cordova ?

2. Swimming .. yes she can play in the water .. but real swimming ? Should i wait until swimming enrichment classes in primary school ? Iffah is not physically inclined so getting her to go a class might be challenging .. but I don't think I can teach her myself. I can't even make her lift her legs away from the ground.

And even if i do enrol, how do I fit them in ? Morning before her school starts ? Evening ? Sunday ? Or Sat .. before/after her art class ? I am amazed at how other parents manage their time, and how are their kids so receptive to going to so many classes.
Then there is Akif. After recovering from the initial shock that one My Gym class costs around $37, I finally forced myself to go for a trial class. I sort of know what to expect as Iffah did go for one My Gym trial around the same age. ( but it was free during her time ) . So, yes, Akif could not sit and listen to instructions and cried everytime the trainer touched him. And it was also a dizzying experience for me ... as I had to run, spin carry whatever. The class serves its purpose- it was very physical and it will probably help Akif's balancing, tumbling and agility and all.

Nevertheless the English teacher in me prefer the Gymboree kind, whereby physical play is incorporated with themes , imaginative play and the teaching of concepts ( in and out, up and down ) . And I remembered that it was not too costly sending Iffah there. It was only about $26 per lesson. So at the end of the My Gym trial i told myself that Akif would probably prefer Gymboree as there are no trainers who touch him, and the set up there are more friendly to toddling babies.

I even told myself that I do not mind making my way to Tanglin mall during weekdays while Iffah is in school . But of course, it is not happy ending just yet. Last week I called to enquire and was so disappointed that the price for Gymboree has ballooned. It now costs $399 for 12 lessons so each class amounts to $33. knowing me, I would end up taking cab and back so each trip/lesson would set me back at least $60. Sigh.

So again there is the vacillation as to whether to go to My gym in Tampines or Gymboree further away or none at all. I like the idea of him in a class, with other kids, and me interacting with other mums every Thur afternoon while Iffah is in school.But seeing my money in the back getting less and less month after month , I think I will wait until July to send him to Gymboree Tanglin Mall. In the meantime I need to convince myself that it is perfectly ok not to send Akif to any gym class now. ( cos the insecure mum in me keeps telling myself that I'm either not being fair since Iffah did start Tumble tots at 13mth ..or Akif and I will lose out something somehow by not putting him in a class ..ugh )






No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Speaking as a mum © 2008. Template Design By: SkinCorner